Why Dental Cleanings & Exams
Unfortunately, daily oral care is simply not enough to prevent dental health problems. Even patients with proper oral hygiene habits may still suffer from tooth decay, gum disease, and other complications.
Luckily, Dr. Nicholas Berns and the rest of the Crossroads Family Dental hygiene team are here to help! With professional dental cleanings and exams, we can help you and your family maintain a strong, healthy smile that will last a lifetime!
The Goal of Preventive Dentistry
The main goal of preventive dentistry is to diagnose common oral health conditions early to prevent them from becoming major concerns. Preventive dentistry benefits patients of all ages. Dental cleanings and exams will help eliminate bacterial buildup, improve oral health, diagnose current areas of concern, and provide patients with the home-care tools they need to aid in maintaining a healthy smile.
The Importance of Professional Cleanings
Bacteria found in plaque (a thin biofilm that constantly forms on and around your teeth) is the main cause of tooth decay and gum disease. When plaque builds up, it hardens into tartar and becomes much more difficult to remove. During a professional cleaning, our dental hygienist will use specialized equipment to remove plaque and tartar from the surface of your teeth, both above and below the gumline. Your teeth are also polished to remove minor stains and improve cosmetics.
Professional cleanings are necessary for two main reasons—to keep existing teeth healthy and to prevent systemic diseases that affect your overall health. If the bacteria in your mouth is left unchecked, it will begin to produce acids that eat away at tooth enamel and lead to infection. When enamel is lost, the tooth is more vulnerable to further cavities, acid wear, and even nerve damage.
What to Expect During a Dental Exam
During a dental exam, Dr. Nicholas Berns and the hygiene team will evaluate the overall state of your oral health. This includes:
• Assessing your risk of tooth decay, gum disease, and bone disease.
• Assessing your bite and jaw for complications.
• Assessing your need for restorative treatment.
• Examining the fit of existing prosthetic replacements.
• Assessing your need for fluoride treatment.
• Performing diagnostic procedures, such as x-rays.
• Reviewing your dental and medical history.
• Addressing bad habits, such as smoking and poor diet.
• Screening for oral cancer.
• In addition, the team at Crossroads Family Dental takes the time to get to know you and come up with a plan to help you achieve the dental goals that are important to you.
Scheduling dental exams at regular intervals will give us the chance to detect problems early when they are most treatable. During your visit, ask Dr. Nicholas Berns about the state of your mouth, and the recommended length between visits.
Schedule Your Cleaning and Exam Today
Do not neglect your dental health! Call 219-865-4095 to schedule a cleaning and exam today!